For a better, healthier living and working environment with a true focus on sustainability and ecology, there is no better natural paint on the market than AURO.
An internationally trusted eco paint brand since 1983.
Click the image to view AURO TV
AURO decorating products are good for you and good for the environment. We stand out amongst manufacturers of natural and eco paints and wood finishes because we have always been totally committed and uncompromising in our environmental standards. Our products contain 99% natural raw materials. It goes almost without saying that we do not use petrochemicals in our products. We also ensure that natural raw materials come from environmentally managed sources and are produced using a sustainable ecological cycle. Much of the linseed oil used in our paints is grown close to the factory and is certified as organic, any waste product and excess paint can be composted. We are happy to fully declare all our ingredients, these can be found in our technical data sheets for each product downloadable from this site.
AURO breathable paints
are based on organic linseed oil resins, plant and mineral pigments for colour and chalks for fillers. AURO wood finishes are micro-porous
so they don’t flake, peel or blister and are easily maintained. Conservation and eco homes
are perfectly suited to these breathable materials and they are especially well suited to green homes like passivhaus buildings. They can also be used on top of previously painted walls, so anything goes really, from New Build
and Victorian Terrace to Straw Bale.
The use of natural and plant based ingredients means that allergy and asthma sufferers and people who are chemically sensitive are much more able to tolerate our products. Please see a detailed response for allergy sufferers
in the FAQ's.
Our eco paints and wood oils are perfect to use on children's toys and cots
and have EU EN DIN 71 part 3 (toy safety) accreditation.
If you want some more reasons why AURO is the best choice for natural, ethical and ecologically sound finishes:
- Breathable paints for high conservation and eco homes, our environmentally friendy products are perfect for Passivhaus projects.
Natural Bee Keeping Trust
recommend AURO 160 Woodstains to their members, this non-toxic stain is available in over 30 colours
and is perfect for beehives, bat boxes or any conservation or sensitive areas for animals. Become a NBKT member and ask for the discount code!
AURO 160 Wood Stains came top compared to 21 other eco and non eco products in Test Magazine (the equivalent to Which! Report in Germany).
We are remain Best Buy in Ethical Consumer Magazine and attained their top 'ethiscore'. We proudly carry The Ethical Consumer 'Best Buy' logo on our emulsion paints.
Several AURO products have also been recommended by the stringent German environmental ‘Oko Test’ Magazine and have NaturePlus awards.
AURO was the only brand to receive 5 star excellence in a recent 'Proof' report on Chemical Free Paint (www.proof.co.uk) conducted by people with extreme allergies.
In 2008 we moved into our new eco-building which uses the latest environmental technology for best energy performance, once again showing our dedication to the environment and pursuit of a sustainable future.
As part of the Greenshop Group
we are proud to announce that we are now accredited as Carbon Neutral through the CO2 Balance Company here in the UK, offsetting 67 tonnes via donation to the African Efficient Stove scheme for 2010. So both manufacturer and distributor are now CO2
, our parent company in Germany, became officially accredited as a CO2 neutral
manufacturer in 2006.
Download our current brochure by clicking the image above, or request a free one to be posted together with a colour chart via the 'contact us' button to the left - don't forget to include your address.
Charities and Education bodies, please contact us as can provide special prices to support you.
FOCUS ON SUSTAINABILITY!
- Beware of paints jumping on to the 'green' & 'eco' bandwagon - there are many acrylic paints out there posing themselves as eco paints because they are water based and have lower VOC levels, but they are in no way produced using sustainable materials. Our emulsions mostly register as minmal VOC (0-0.29%), any smell associated with them come from pleasant essential oils or a putty smell from the natural linseed base, these dissappear very quickly .
- Look more deeply into manufacturing procedures, ingredients used and overall CO2 footprint of other ecopaints available in the UK. Most paint sporting the EU flower Logo contain forms of acrylic - the EU flower Logo is a good asset but is not as stringent as the stance Auro took over 30 years ago, and it certainly does not denote 'natural'. A lot of so called 'natural paints' use synthetic pigments to achieve their shades - not at AURO, we use only natural pigments.
- Always ask for a full declaration of ingredients before committing to buy - any reputable company should have this together with a glossary describing what those ingredients are and from where they are sourced.
- Be mindful that ecopaints do not necessarily mean natural paint and the term 'organic' paint can be a very misleading and biased phrase, all paint, even petro chemical paints, are based on organic chemistry, see below for further info on why we can call our paints organic with a capital 'O'.
There is no standardisation when it comes to ecopaints so please look a little more deeply when choosing an environmentally friendly paint that best suits you, your family, trade clients and the planet too.
Oils and fats from controlled organic cultivation
Ecology in every detail: Since the beginning of 2012, AURO uses oils and fats from controlled biological cultivation (German: kbA =kontrolliert biologischer Anbau). The coconut fat and palm kernel fat are certified by ECOCERT. The rapeseed, linseed and soya oils we now use were controlled by the IMO (Institute for Market Ecology) and the sunflower oil by the federal eco control point ‘Grünstempel’®.ECOCERT is one of the most important independent certifying bodies for biological products. ECOCERT’s international activities include examinations in the organic farming business as well as the manufacturing industry in more than 80 countries.
The seal of this bio-certification organisation guarantees certified biological quality of food and other products of ecological farming. Moreover, the rapeseed, linseed and soya oils are tested by the IMO (Institute for Market Ecology), an internationally approved independent control organization for the certification of environmentally friendly products, ecological farming and management systems.
Finally, the sunflower oil received its‚ green stamp‘ from Grünstempel®, a federal eco control point that is licensed by the German Federal Office for Agriculture and Food.
Feel free to call us if you have any queries about our products, I'm sure you'll find us responsive and eager to help, we believe that our customers are our best asset. PRICES LISTED HERE ARE INCLUSIVE OF VAT
Despite this being an e-commerce site we encourage customers to use their local suppliers wherever possible in order to support their local economy.
Where there are no alternatives please call us for direct sales - 01452 772020. We are particularly keen to hear from trade customers and we offer good trade discounts to the building trade, architects, specifiers, decorators. Registered charities and Educational bodies receive greater discount, please call for details. We are also keen to hear from potential new stockists and offer competitive rates to retailers. We are open for calls and sales Monday to Friday 9am - 5.30pm.